Friday, November 21, 2008

One more day

Well, we'll let Chuck Noland give you today's update:

I was talking today with a friend from Southern California who was excited that he was going to "The Big Game" between Stanford and Cal. He kept talking on and on about the great this game was, and how important the rivalry was. After listening politely for the requisite 15 seconds, I asked him to put a cork in it.

Being an educator, I had to illuminate him on a couple of facts. First, one huge, memorable play does not a rivalry make. Second, nothing could be a "rivalry" that doesn't sell out (especially in California, where the weather forecast doesn't include now).

Given what week it was, he knew that I was building toward a rant about THE Game, so he cut me off. "What makes Ohio and Michigan so great?" he asked snarkily.

After calmly explaining the difference between Ohio and THE Ohio State University, I pointed out four things that would answer his question:
  1. No other "rivalry" includes militias from both sides being engaged to settle a dispute. In the case of Ohio State and Michigan, there was the Toledo War of 1835. Other teams have individual fans who get into fights, we've got a game that reflects the fight that's been brewing for decades.
  2. Coaches take the game seriously. Case in point, during the Ten Years War, we have this piece of history-

    One night on a recruiting trip in the state of Michigan, an assistant noticed that the car he was driving was going to run out of gas. He let Woody, who was dozing in the passenger seat, that he had to pull over for gas. Woody refused, and the assistant drove on. The assistant, who saw the weather was starting to get bad, began to become worried about getting stuck in the middle of nowhere, and once again stressed his desire to pull over and get gas. Woody erupted: "No, g*dd*mmit! We do NOT pull in and fill up. And I'll tell you exactly why we don't. It's because I don't buy one g*dd*m drop of gas in the state of Michigan! We'll coast and PUSH this g*dd*mn car to the Ohio line before I give this state a nickel of my money!" The assistant knew he wasn't kidding, and they barely made it across the border and sputtered into the first gas station they found in Ohio."

  3. Tradition, even the stupid ones:
  4. Finally, this quote- "There are countless "rivalries" in college football. "Battle for the Old Oaken Bucket." "Battle for the Apple Cup." "Battle for the Golden Pineapple." "Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party." "Red River Rivalry." The Game has no name. The Game is above trophies and designations. In the minds of many, there is nothing else other than The Game. There is one game, and that's The Game. Everything else is just pre-season to many. This game is THE Game."
Dang skippy. And now back to memory lane. First, from Judgment Day, 2006's #1 vs #2. Then last year's rainy "goodbye" party for Chad Henne and Mike Hart.


2006


2007

I! O!


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home