Saturday, September 09, 2006

Deep in the heart of WHOOOO!!!!!!

logo shamelessly borrowed from Buckeye Commentary

What an amazing game... Just a couple of thoughts, and then I've got candy to make...

Offense: Wow. Wow wow wow. And just think how good OSU can be if/when Troy starts to run. Game ball to Gonzales.

Defense: Bend but don't break... nice. I'm really surprised that UT did not stay with the run, and I'm not the only one... In the big T1E1N, we will definately need to do better against the rushing game. Game ball to Lauranaitis, who can't help but be a bad dude, given who his
dad is.

Penalties: This will kill us long term... I felt so bad for Alex Boone, the sophomore lineman that had a couple of things against him. In addition, the "helmet to helmet" thing is K-R-A-P crap- even the Dallas paper agrees:
Texas spent more than seven minutes on its only touchdown. Got a little help in the red zone, too, when the Buckeyes' 6-6 Jay Richardson slammed into McCoy and apparently was flagged for being too tall.
What is especially frustrating about this call is that the two Texas Safeties led with their helmets for the entire game, with no calls. Nor should there be, unless it's intentionally meant to injure someone. Defenders are taught to "Bite the ball", to put your facemask on the ball in order to 1) not miss the tackle and 2) potentially force a fumble. The dropped pass by Hamby in the endzone last year came because of such a hit- it's part of the game. I can't believe I'm doing this, but to quote Bob Davie "He's a big boy, he's wearing pads, and it's a contact sport".

Other thoughts:
A) Some folks in Columbus got a bit too happy last night... three comments-
  1. You're not helping those of us who read and post on Michigan blogs when you reinforce every stereotype that they have for tOSU fans.
  2. To paraphrase Lou Holtz (I know)- "Act like you've been there before; and like you're planning on going back."
  3. To paraphrase Sam Wyche- "You live in (or represent) Columbus, not West Virginia"
B) I hate Brent Musberger, and am SOOOO excited that we get to have him do every Saturday evening game for the rest of the year. He started talking about how the game was over at the beginning of the fourth quarter... What an idiot. If he ends up missing after visting LA next weekend, I won't be a part of the search team.

C) It's great to see that Robert Randolph has been tabbed to do the theme song for the Saturday night games. He and his band are all members of the Church of God (In Christ), a pentecostal movement that started in LA. They begun as part of the worship team, and now are doing the music thing full time. You can check out last Saturday's performance here: Robert Randolph- Thrill of It

D) You already know how I feel about the new clock rules, designed to "make the game move faster". Well, it's not any better now...When Carrie is looking at me with that "Why did I marry you?" look because I'm so frustrated, you know something is wrong. You want to make the game move faster? Go back to the old rules, and limit the commercials.
Sometime this week, I'm going back to count how many commercial breaks/commercials (including those ones where they tell you who is sponsoring the game after a commercial break) that this game had in the first half. As a point of reference, TV time stated at 5, kickoff at 5:16, and the second quarter didn't start until after 6. The worst part of it? The ESPN/ABC ticker used to tell us about upcoming ABC shows. That's like making announcements for a strip club in church- the ticker is sacred.

Here are some ideas that Carrie, Michael, and I came up with to assist with this...
  1. Fewer commercials, higher prices. That way, the money stays the same.
  2. Set a specific number of commercials. Once you run out, you can't break away from the game. Heck, show the bands...
  3. my favorite Same as above, but also limit the amount of airtime that Brent Musburger has, and make these dependant upon each other. So, if Brent goes 5 minutes over his limit, then that's 5 minutes less of commercials you can have. If Brent keeps his yap shut, then ABC can even run extra commercials. Seriously- I'm ok with commentators filling 'dead air' as long as they know what they are talking about. Brent Musburger does not.
  4. on a similar vein Hold an event after the game where Brent has to suit up and actually go against some of the people he's been talking about. Sell commercials to that. Guaranteed to make up any lost revenue from assuming any of the previous ideas
E) Godzillatron. Oh. My. God. That's AWESOME!!! Especially when it looks like this...

That's all I have for now, although I'm sure I'll post some additional material here this week. For now, though, duty calls...


Go BUCKS!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home