After week one...
For those of you newbies (Where in the heck did you come from???) each week, I'll post a quick summary of the ins and outs, and will update both the weekly and overall scores. I also (as you can see) put things here during the week that relate to college sports, and welcome comments and content. Please use the comments section- if not, it will just be Michael, and you know how that gets.
Also- I'm posting "Roll Call"- please comment and add your information so people can know who they're up against, since we have such a large crowd. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with some nickname, and who wants that?
Let's get on with it...
Well… we’ve officially kicked off for both the Pick-em season and the high holy days that are college football! Pretty successful and exciting week, especially if you’re a Nebraska Fan from
In the big dance, the Buckeyes won ugly, the Cornhuskers threw their way to victory, TCU defeated Baylor, A&M overwhelmed the Citadel Bulldogs, toOSU looked good against a sub par opponent,Auburn gave WSU enough space to ‘coug’ themselves, and the University of Willingham and the Fighting Zooks found themselves with a winning record for the first time in a long time. Even the beloved Anderson Ravens kept their grasp on the Wagon Wheel, defeating
Not all was well, however- Vanderbilt made
Fun Fact: Arkansas/Tennessee/Auburn defeated USC/Cal/WSU 89 to 82 in the SEC/Pac 10 clash. Minus the USC scores, it’s 75 to 32. Trojan football- money well spent. Who do they play next???
Looking at our league, Carrie was PERFECT! And I'm not just saying that becuse she's cute- she went 10-0 for what may only be the fifth time in the history of this "league". Here's how everyone ended up:
Points
Lots and lots of Shikes at the top of the list, but not the usual suspects. Annual challenger Dan and recently unretired Janie are in the lower echelons... perhaps that will change, perhaps the tide has turned.
You know what's really nice? 11 of us beat Mike Golic- who invited him anyway?
Let's look at our other scores- picks percentages (for those who think that the whole confidence points things is too close to gambling and don't want to stumble...)
Picks
A bit odd to see the one guy who should know the most about Division I college ball at the very bottom...
Next up- Most of our teams are continuing their tour of force, playing the highest caliber opponents.
As an aside- what is it with Alabama people? Can't you choose a mascot? Crimson Tide/Elephant, Tigers/War Eagle, Blazers/Dragons... Don't get greedy, just settle on one. Please.
Back to the update- TCU wages against the mighty UC Davis Aggies, while the real Aggies will see Lousiana-Lafayette visit College Station. USC prepares for Nebraska with an off weekd, and Arkansas is guaranteed not to lose. Hooray!
Anderson squares off in Greencastle against the DePauW (Not DePauL, from Chicago- this one is Dan Quayle's alma mater. Proud...). Remember this fact in a couple of weeks when I rant about the Monon Bell game.
Huge games this week- Penn State travels to South Bend to face Notre Dame, which is a sure win for ND. If PSU wins, Joe Pa (a devout catholic) will surely be thinking about how this might impact his soul's future (look, he';s 114- you'd think about death too.)
In Austin, the "I can't believe I had tickets to this one and didn't go" game- #3 Texas hosts #5 Ohio State (Yes, I know they're number one... I don't believe they deserve it). If you don't watch this one, you don't love college football. Or Jesus.
Small college game of the week- In the NAIA, we go back to the homeland, where Urbana University plays Central State University in the Dayton Classic, held in Welcome Stadium on the UD campus. Urbana University's most well known alumni is my mom; this institution holds a loose affiliation with the Swedenborgian General Convention of the Church of the New Jerusalem in the United States of America. With a group that philosophically focusing on the afterlife, Urbana's students should be proud of their school spirit.
Central State, on the other hand, is a traditionally African American institution in Wilberforce Ohio. Famous Marauders include Vince Buck, Erik Williams; and the program is just being reinstated after cuts due to budget concerns.
Don't forget to "Roll Call"- and get your picks in...
Labels: Picks league



1 Comments:
Wow last year 7-3 in a week would have been good for top 5! I guess I better bring my A game this year if I'm going to win both picks and points again!
Post a Comment
<< Home