Sunday, September 21, 2008

Got to be honest, here

Kind of a boring day for college football. When the top teams either aren't challenged (I'm looking at you Arizona State) or aren't playing, it makes for a quiet morning.

Well, sure, I could have watched NC State trip up the East Carolina Media Darlings- whoops- "Pirates" and knock them out of the "BCS is BROKEN" debate. Or, I could have witnessed UCLA getting embarrassed at home by Arizona. Or Oregon joining the PAC-10's ineptitude against the MWC by dropping one to the WAC's finest. Alabama won the "coaches who said that they would be with their NFL teams, then breeched their contracts to go back to college football" game against Arkansas. I guess Saban had an advantage, since he didn't quit mid season.

Nope, still not all that interesting.

I could have watched a freshman QB set records in his first start for tOSU, or watched another hyped young QB get beaten up by Michigan State (2 interceptions, numerous sacks- OK, I did giggle and watch this one). At least they can keep part of their motto, right?

But when one of the premier games of the week was over by halftime, I knew it was going to be one of those days. Heck, even the mighty Ravens had things under control as they rolled to a 47-14 victory. Husson was also victorious against mighty Norwich.

Yawn...

But then came the night lights. LSU broke the streak of "home team wins" with last second heroics against Auburn. APU managed to thwart any attempts by Wisconsin-LaCrosse to steal away a victory with goal line stands and a last second field goal effort purged by a powerful rush. Great way to end a day on a crescendo.

And, after it all cleared away, we find our second consecutive perfect week of picks!!
Great job, Terp. I'm not sure at all what happened to Emily, Amanda, and Doug- Thoughts, guys?
Terry and Steve ended up tied, but Terry did it with fewer wins. Nice work- just think what would happen if you ever really retired.

Here's where we are overall.
Triumverate of victory at the top, while the battle for "people who've forgotten to turn in their scores" (AKA the Scott Strawn Award) tightens up near the bottom.
Real conversation I had with Carrie yesterday-
"Wow- I'm at the bottom of the Shike pile now... "
"Well, you're not a Shike anymore, so if it helps you're also at the bottom of the Strawn pile"
"....."
Yeah. It's comfy at our new apartment.

This week the games get more exciting (we hope). Big T1e1n play kicks off with tOSU and Minnesota (you betcha), while Indiana looks to rebound from their in-state loss to the David Lettermans by hosint Javon Ringer and the Spartans. Mich1gAAn meets Wisconsin, in a game that won't be pretty at the end. Arkansas finally gets to play Texas, although they may pray for another large storm to delay the inevitable. Jake, Emily, and Abbie Jane will be in Auburn to see the War Tigers host the "How bad are they?" Tennessee Volunteers. U$C comes back from their well deserved rest to play tooOSU, and Ntre Ame will try to beat a Big T1e1n school as they host the Boilermakers (and hopefully not drink them- although that would explain the haircut). TCU tries to hold off the Sooners, while the Zooks travel to Happy Valley to be the first team with a pulse that State Penn will play this year. Another great SEC matchup sees the Sabans traveling to meet the Bulldogs- kind of a Charlie Daniels theme, there. The Huskers and the Hokies get together- Corn and turkeys; this will probably be messy. APU travels to Wisconsin to play UW Steven's Point (...and your point would be?), while the Ravens return home to face the dreaded "bye".

Our Small School highlight of the week (brought to you by my mom's magic cookie squares until I can find a corporate sponsor) is a Division 2 awkward mascot matchup, and finds the Ichabods hosting the Griffons. Washburn University in Topeka Kansas takes their mascot's name from their founder, which is really dissappointing given what I was hoping for. They are, however, cheered on by their fan base- the "Bod Squad".

The mightly Grifoins of Missouri Western State just dropped a heartbreaker to the Pittsburg (KS) Gorillas, another mascot favorite hereabouts. Hailing from St. Joseph's Missouri (home of the Pony Express), they are not afraid to tell you what they are proud about. Interestingly enough, their (mispelled) mascot is part eagle and part lion, and comes from the mythology of Greece, Persia, Egypt, and other near eastern cultures.

Hmm... Part large cat, part eagle. Where have we heard that before?

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't FORGET!! I was busy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home