Couldn't be better. Seriously.
You know, not to step on anyone's toes here, but it was a pretty good Saturday. Not on our picks scoreboard, just personally.
Ohio State won the Big T1e1n championship with a typical "Tresselball" game- play conservative, and not to lose. While some people see this as infuriating, those of us with "Rose" colored glasses can also point to these numbers: Both running backs almost hit 100 yards in rushing against a solid, nationally ranked defense; This is the second week in a row that the Buckeyes beat a top 15 opponent, and this is their fifth consecutive Conference Title. Other people have written better about the game itself, so I'm just gonna' move onto other blessings.
Nebraska won, in convincing fashion, taking control of the Big 12 North race. Against an always potent Kansas offense, the Blackshirts only allowed 17 points and under 350 total yards. Like I said, good times in mi casa.
Ntre Ame lost, even if it was a bit controversial. That means that Charlie Weis has yet to beat a team that finished the year over .500, and is a good bet to lose his next two as well. Hot seat? You betcha- but someone's been saying that for a long time.
U$C lost, and lost big. To Stanford. At home. Nothing against Stanford- I've got a lot of love for them, and hope we see them in Pasadena. But to see a Pete Carrol team embarrassed like that- well, it makes me giggle. I know, I'm petty. Even funnier? When Stanford's coach (a Mich1gAAn man) pulls a play out of Woody's playbook, and when the local paper indicates that the Trojans are being beaten by superior athletes. The times, they are a changing.
Speaking of "them"... Whiskey is probably the only thing keeping TTUN's fans alive after the beating that Wisconsin put on them. In a week where buzz swirled around the storied program's new savior, the former "Star QB" and offensive lineman took steps towards record seasons. And now, with the possibility of staying home for Bowl season staring them in the face, Mich1gAAn prepares to meet Ohio State in THE Game. Not good times for them...
The great Saturday continued as my "other mater" defeated Vanderbilt. As someone who was at UK back when everyone scheduled them for homecoming, I'm just happy that they beat someone. Heck, even my adopted "third favorite team" won; the Longhorns easily handled Baylor. Like I said, it was a good day...
Else wheres in college football- "Ohio's Real Team" managed to continue towards an unbeaten season, with the help of some "love" from the officials. We couldn't have a week without an officiating controversy, could we? Florida's offense was just good enough to beat The Irrelevant Ball Coach, even as the Gamecocks were wearing some amazing uniforms. In this game, St. Tebow tied Herschel Walker's record for SEC Touchdowns- I wonder how Herschel would have done in a 12 game season, with a couple of extra SEC championship games?
TCU continued to roll, and sported new gear of it's own. Seriously, though- the pants look like something professional wrestlers wore in the 80's. Houston fell, as did media darling Miami. Florida State managed to get out of it's own way long enough to win another game, while Northwestern defeated the Zooks for the Souix Tomahawk. Colorado's woes continued against Iowa State (at least one team from Iowa won this weekend), and did the Huskies. LSU almost was upset by Louisiana Tech, and Georgia rallied to defeat Auburn at home. Cal showed a bit of a pulse, and knocked Arizona's hopes of their first Rose Bowl into oblivion. We dispatched a correspondent to cover the TBPU defeat of Capn' Leech, but he claims his awesome iPhone couldn't get the pictures. Wonder if there's an app for that?
The greatness continued to our small schools; APU throttled #14 Langston 37-3. This is the same Langston that earlier defeated SNU by one point. The Crimson Storm also won on Saturday, handling Texas College easily. Alas, the Bronze Ball stays with Chester- Anderson's loss ends their season (mercifully) at 1-9. DePauw fell 39-17 to Wabash to lose possession of the Monon Bell.
Now, to the "not so good news"-Even our best performance this week lost three games:
and we had three "whoopsie!" moments from two of our PAC 10 friends.
Amanda must finally be getting "mama brain", since that's the only explanation for only getting one right.
Scott has discovered how well you can do at this thing if you don't flake out and forget to get your picks in. Either that, or Michael keeps reminding him.
Yet another name at the top of the leader board. With just a couple of weeks left to play, this one is coming down to the wire...Time once again for the "What Does Chuck Think The Bowl Matchups Should Be?" brought to you by the Sonic they're building within 3 miles of my house. For the record, they've opened up a Papa John's right behind it- Don't think I'm not going to ask for the delivery guy to bring me a shake on his way.
Anywho- Here's what I'd love to see:
- ROSE: The Ohio State University -vs- Stanford. Yeah, I know that Oregon will probably win this thing, and would mean more available tickets. But I'd love to see the Buckeyes play Harbaugh's team- A win is a great win, and a loss really sticks their current coaching situation in Mich1gAAn's face. Plus, I don't want to have to deal with those uniforms.
- ORANGE: Cincinnati -vs- Georgia Tech. Let's see how Kelly and Co deal with an offense designed to keep the other team's O off the boards.
- SUGAR: Alabama -vs- Iowa/Oklahoma State. By my rules, none of these teams would be playing... TBPU would bring a closer fanbase.
- FIESTA: TCU -vs- Boise State. The Fiesta has no conference ties, so these two "rogue" teams would fit in, and Tempe is close enough to both fan bases for a good amount of ticket sales. I argued about this over the weekend- if you end up with five undefeated teams, why not let four of them play each other? Otherwise, you risk ending the season with four undefeateds rather than three- and the BCS don't need that kind of publicity these days.
- GAME FOR GLITTERY BALL: Florida -vs- Texas. Last time the Horns were in Pasadena playing as underdogs, we ended up with one of the greatest games ever. I'm all for sequels.
- LITTLE CAESAR'S BOWL: CMU (Led by Heisman Trophy winner Dan LeFevour) against anyone but Mich1gAAn.
Small schools- It's time to celebrate the playoffs in the areas of the world that have them. Later this week, look for the "Game from Obscurity" over at my other home.
Other than that- you know what week it is.
Go Bucks.


5 Comments:
Couldn't be worse. Seriously. Well, that's why they play the games. I would give me pinky for us to change sentiments this time next week!
Nice video. Really. Notice the UM fan vs the OSU fan. Enough said.
For the record, Amanda got 2 right. Gotta stick up for a fellow mama! And no worries, Amanda. Given how sleep-deprived you undoubtedly are, I think it's amazing that you are remembering to get your picks in!
I'll fix Amanda's score next week- good catch.
Jen- it's just like a certain UM/Florida couple I know. :)
Carrie, thanks for sticking up for mama. You ladies are amazing. You give up everything for these precious little people.
It was a bad week for me too and I don't have a good excuse.
Post a Comment
<< Home